“The Nursing Study Program prepare students to become nurses that have knowledge, good morals, and skills, bearing the title Sarjana Keperawatan Ners or S.Kep., Ns (or similar to Bachelor of Nursing), which allows them to perform international-standard nursing services.”
The nurse’s primary role in a community or health institution is to provide holistic nursing care that covers the patient’s bio-psycho-sociocultural-spiritual and cultural aspects that have all been integrated in the care provision.
Accreditation Status of the Nursing Study Program
Nursing Study Program, accredited B, as explained in the Decree Letter (SK) number 0425/LAM-PTKes/Akr/Sar/III/2016
What Students Learn in the Nursing Study Program
- Basic knowledge in human anatomy and physiology
- Nursing care and clinical skills in basic human needs, such as respiratory system, heart and blood vessels, neurosurgeon, urination, digestion, muscle and bone, skin, sensing, endocrine, immune and blood and emergency.
- Nursing care for community, family, geriatric, and psychiatric needs, as well as skills to conduct hospital management to keep up the wards.
- Transcultural and nursing as a course subject that will be exchanged in a student exchange program with Saint Louis College in Bangkok, Thailand.
Quality of Academic Environment
Academic activities at the undergraduate level include seminar lectures, laboratory practices, and clinical practices in a hospital or community, while at the professional level students go through clinical practices in hospitals/communities. These activities are conducted in 11 areas of nursing. Both programs have a competitive advantage in palliative care, which is a service given to patients with a terminal/incurable disease, aimed at alleviating suffering and improving the quality of life of both patients and their family.
Seminar lectures are also supported with facilities, such as nursing laboratory, nursing support laboratory, air-conditioned lecturing rooms, internet facility, discussion room, reading room, counseling room, and student organization room.
To improve students’ knowledge and skills, WMCUS entered into agreements with various entities as listed below:
Practicum Placement Collaboration
– Adi Husada Undaan Wetan Hospital, Surabaya
– Adi Husada Kapasari Hospital, Surabaya
– PHC Hospital, Surabaya
– Darmo Hospital, Surabaya
– Menur Mental Health Hospital, Surabaya
– Palliative and Pain-Free Installation General Hospital Dr. Soetomo, Surabaya
– Nirmala Orphanage Hospital, Malang
– Various Health Community Centers in Surabaya
– Various local nursing homes in Surabaya
– Dr. Mohamad Soewandhi General Hospital, Surabaya
– Dr. Ramelan Naval Hospital, Surabaya
Collaborations at the internasional level :
– Saint Louis College Bangkok, Thailand
– De La Salle University Dasmariñas, Philippines
– Australian Catholic University (ACU)
Collaboration with insitutions in Indonesia :
- Indonesian National Nurses Association (Persatuan Perawat Nasional Indonesia/PPNI) at the national, provincial (East Java), and local city (Surabaya) levels.
- Association of Indonesian Nurse Education Institutions (Asosiasi Institusi Pendidikan Ners Indonesia/AIPNI)
- Surabaya City Government Health Departments
- East Java Provincial Health Departments
Career Paths for Graduates
With a bachelor level degree of Sarjana Keperawatan or S.Kep. (Bachelor of Nursing), they get into the following fields:
- As a nursing practitioner in hospitals, public polyclinics, clinics belong to companies, health offices, community health centers, nursing homes, non-governmental organizations (NGO) in health field, or as overseas foreign workers (professional nurses);
- As an entrepreneur by opening an independent nursing practice in the field of health/nursing in accordance with applicable rules;
- As an academician and scientist after finishing post-graduate studies in nursing, which leads to a lecturer/researcher profession in nursing education institution or university.